Click Here! If I had had the information in this comprehensive manual, I would have been in the Philippines a year before I actually made it here.
Having lived in the Philippines for a decade, Experiencing Filipino foods somewhat, it has now become normal for me to see and eat things that I would never have considered before. I have never been a rice lover at all and the poor quality of rice available in the Philippines has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.
The following comes from a great Buzz Feed article by Michelle Rennex.
1. Your weekend breakfast jumps between bacon and egg rolls…
2. …and the irresistible combination of Spam, egg, and rice.
Especially when the Spam goes on sale at Woolies.
3. You don’t really know when it’s appropriate to use your hands or cutlery.
4. You have an array of Datu Puti vinegar in your cupboards…
5. …which are also stocked with a heap of sweet chilli sauce for lumpia.
6. Takeout, especially KFC, is accompanied by rice.
Actually, every dish is accompanied by rice.
7. And parties mean big aluminium trays of Filo dishes next to the sausage sizzles.
Plus those parties mean leftovers for literal days.
8. If one of your parents are Aussie, they always have trouble pronouncing traditional dishes.
Adobo = OH-DOW-BOW
9. And your Filipino parent always asks whether you want “filo food” or “white food”.
Michelle Rennex / BuzzFeed
10. A lot of their texts are written in Taglish.